That's me--Miss Pep.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Good luck to the nominees. Except the ones I don't like.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I love award nominations. Especially Emmy nominations because they're all about TV!  I watch TV far more often than I go to the movies, so come Oscar time, I usually haven't seen a wide range of the nominated films. But oh! The Emmys! It's like the world series for me and there are so many teams to root for! I almost missed the nominations yesterday morning because I forgot (for SHAME) they were on and was about to walk out the door when trusty Matt Lauer informed me the Emmy noms were a minute away! Yikes! So I parked my ready-for-work butt on the couch and waited for the games to begin! And cheer I did...but we'll get to that in a minute.

Yesterday's nominations were extra great because the presenters were two actors I love: Joshua Jackson and Melissa McCarthy.  Have you ever wondered how they choose Emmy nomination presenters. I have. Yesterday. Clearly we have all loved Joshua Jackson since the days of Pacey and Joey and Dawson. In fact, I have loved Joshua Jackson since he was Charlie Conway in The Mighty Ducks. But now he's on "Fringe," a sci-fi show I'm hooked on, yet I worry about because it got relegated to Friday nights and it's always in danger of being canceled. So how on earth did he get to be a presenter for the Emmy nominations? And why was he chuckling throughout the whole thing? I want to be in on his funny secret.

And Melissa. The loveable Sookie St. James from "Gilmore Girls." I'm so glad she's finally getting her time to shine. You might also remember she was, once again, a faithful sidekick in "Samatha Who?" with Christina Applegate. But if you haven't seen her in Bridesmaids...GO! She stole the show. And as an added bonus, she even gets to share highlarious scenes with her rea-life husband (which I didn't know until a friend told me). I haven't watched her new show "Mike and Molly," but it must be good because our girl got a nomination!! And, according to IMDB, she has signed on to an untitled Judd Apatow project. Damn, girl! You've come a long way! So I suppose the choice to have her do the honors yesterday made some sense.  She's blowing up!

And now for today's challenge.  Six degrees of separation: connect Joshua Jackson and Melissa McCarthy in 6 TV shows or less!

On to the really important stuff.  The actual nominations!  I sat on my couch, first watching the predictions, thinking how I could totally go on the "Today Show" and talk about what shows and actors will and will not get nominated.  Give me that job! The only problem is that I don't watch a few of the main shows that get nominated, so mypredictions would have been lacking some major players: "Mad Men," "30 Rock," "Big Bang Theory" and anything on HBO.  I mean, I work at Showtime but only watch our shows because I can...for free.  Oh, and by the way, I'm secretly super happy that Breaking Bad isn't eligible for this year's Emmys because it keeps beating out my favorites!

Below, some categories I care about with comments and predicted winners. For the full list of nominees, click here. By the way, please don't use my predictions as any kind of guide...they're probably all wrong!!

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Jim Parson, "The Big Bang Theory"
Johnny Galecki, "The Big Bang Theory"
Matt LeBlanc, "Episodes"
Louis C.K, "Louie"
Steve Carell, "The Office"
Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"

Major cheer (or, rather, gasp), sitting alone in my apartment for Matt LeBlanc!  "Episodes" was a new Showtime show last year and if you haven't seen it, you should. Matt (oh yeah, we're on a first name basis since we met last October!) is really funny and non-Joey in character.  But he won't win. Steve Carell should. I stopped watching "The Office" this year because I think it's past its prime. But his run on this how as a whole is just fantastic.  I'm predicting him as the sentimental winner. I'm also predicting a Steve Carell win because I can't stand Alec Baldwin and get incensed when he keeps winning. While he is the major draw to "30 Rock" for most people, I have been unable to watch the show because of him. And I used to work at 30 Rock, so you'd think I'd be a huge fan. Not so.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Steve Buscemi, "Boardwalk Empire"
Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"
Kyle Chandler, "Friday Night Lights"
Hugh Laurie, "House"
TImothy Olyphant, "Justified"
Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"

MAJOR cheer for Michael C. Hall!! "Dexter" is one of my absolute favorite shows and I take advantage of working at Showtime by reading the scripts and watching the screeners before anyone else! And I rub it in! But he probably won't win. Another MAJOR cheer for Kyle Chandler!! "FNL" is another of my absolute favorite shows and I'm in complete denial that tonight is the series finale if you watch on NBC. If you watched on DirectTV, you've already finished.  But he won't win (though I really really want him to). Cheer for Hugh Laurie. Love "House" but it's also getting to the point where it might need to end soon (sad face).  I mean, Lisa Edelstein (who should have been nominated for an Emmy last year for her performance in the Cuddy-centric episode) isn't returning next season. What?? When major players start dropping out (hello "The Office") it's a bad sign. The only show in recent memory to survive lots of departures was "ER."  BUT, Hugh Laurie gives some of the best award winner speeches - here's a gem - so he should win something, sometime. Predicted winner...tough one. I am torn between Timothy Olyphant and Steve Buscemi. Timothy because the show is new and shiny and Steve because it's kind of been his year in awards with that role. Haven't seen either show.


Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Laura Linney, "The Big C"
Melissa McCarthy, "Mike and Molly"
Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie"
Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation"
Martha Plimpton, "Raising Hope"
Tina Fey, "30 Rock"

Big cheers for Laura Linney and Edie Falco! I watch both of their shows because of my job and do enjoy them. But they won't win. Wait. I take that back. Laura won the Golden Globe, and Edie won this award last year, and Showtime talent Toni Collette won it two years ago. So there's a shot - most likely for Laura. Big cheers for Melissa McCarthy but we've already discussed her. Tina Fey and her sister in all things funny, Amy Poehler, are both typical nominations. I think "Parks and Red" is gaining popularity as it goes on. I'm going to go with underdog Melissa on this one. She's gaining so much ground this year that it could just be her time.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Connie Britton, "Friday Night Lights"
Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"
Kathy Bates, "Harry's Law"
Mireille Enos, "The Killing"
Mariska Hargitay, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"
Elisabeth Moss, "Mad Men"

MAJOR cheer for Connie Britton from "FNL!!" She was nominated last year as well and lost out to Kyra Sedgwick (who many think has been snubbed this year. I don't watch "The Closer" so I don't much care). Cheers for Julianna Margulies. I've been a fan since her "ER" days. And big cheers for Mireille Enos from "The Killing," which I love - controversial finale and all.  I've seen a total of 3 or 4 episodes of "Mad Men" and I get really angry when it wins everything. And there's just something about Elisabeth Moss that irks me. I've only recently gotten into "SVU" so cheers for Mariska Hargitay.  The winner? I'm gonna hope for more sentimentality from Emmy voters and put my money on Connie. Realistically, Julianna will get it.

Outstanding Comedy Series:
"The Big Bang Theory," CBS
"Glee," Fox
"Modern Family," ABC
"The Office," NBC
"Parks and Recreation," NBC
"30 Rock," NBC

MAJOR cheer (yet totally expected) for "Modern Family," which will take this.  "Glee" went downhill for me for the most part this season. I actually think I forgot to watch the last couple episodes! We already know my feelings on "30 Rock" and "The Office." "Modern Family" is one of the best comedies on TV.

Outstanding Drama Series:
"Boardwalk Empire," HBO
"Dexter," Showtime
"Friday Night Lights," DirectTV (and NBC)
"Game of Thrones," HBO
"The Good Wife," CBS
"Mad Men," AMC

MAJOR cheer for "FNL!" BIG cheer, yet somewhat expected, for "Dexter!" Yay "The Good Wife." Eh on the others. Oh, how I wish "Dexter" or "FNL" would win!! But I predict "Mad Men." It apparently had a great season and its history at the Emmys would say it can win it. Over and over. And over.

To wrap things up on this gargantuan inaugural post, here are my predictions/hopes for other categories without major commentary:

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Winner: Chris Colfer, "Glee"
Hope to win (although I did like the whole Kurt storyline on "Glee"): any of the "Modern Family" gentlemen
Funny if he does win: John Cryer, "Two and a Half Men"

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Winner: Jane Lynch, "Glee" (also hosting the Emmys - this should be awesome)
Hope to win: either of the "Modern Family" ladies

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Hope to Win: Alan Cumming, "The Good Wife"

Outsanding Host for a Reality Program
Winner: Jeff Probst, "Survivor"
Hope to win: Cat Deely, "So You Think You Can Dance"

So, good luck to all the nominees...unless I don't like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment