That's me--Miss Pep.

Monday, September 19, 2011

The Emmys!!

Here it is, my reaction to the Emmys last night. As you know, if you read my initial blog post when the nominations came out, I heart the Emmys. I arrived home in time to see some of the Red Carpet, but definitely not all of it. I do have it DVR-ed so I may check it out but I did manage to see most of the glitz and glamor throughout the show. Some of you might be surprised, I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the fashion. Though the more I'm poking around the red carpet pics on the internet, the more fabulous dresses I'm finding that I didn't catch last night.  In fact, I probably could have dedicated a separate blog just to the dresses, but I haven't. So here goes...

The first person I see as I start watching the DVR is Jane lynch in maroon David Meister...looking a little pregnant. Hmm. She says there will be four outfits tonight. I hope the next ones are better than this one!

Paula Abdul's dress..is it on sideways? It's pretty but it seems as though she didn't straighten it out! Almost like it's supposed to be a sweetheart top but is completely misplaced!



Getty Images
Christina Hendricks, you are a beautiful, curvy woman. We get it. You have big boobs. They come up to your shoulders (better than down to your knees, no?). But every red carpet? You have to hoist them up there EVERY red carpet? Maybe try something different next time. Surprise us.  However, you do look absolutely stunning. That dress is gorgeous.

Minka Kelly is supposedly Esquire's sexiest woman alive right? Why did she choose a dowdy dress? I can sort of see the appeal of it, it's clearly a beautiful Dior dress. But it does NOTHING for her.

I'm a fan of Julianna Margulies but I do not love her dress. At all. It's Armani Prive, as are a lot of dresses on the red carpet tonight. I like the bottom. Not the top. It looks robot like. And NOT a fan of the hair. At all. I know she's got bangs for the new season, but this hairdo isn't my favorite for her.

I'm seeing a lot of red. Which I love. Lea Michele's dress is gorgeous. Minus the shoulders. I get that it's a look. It's just not one I wholeheartedly like. Big shoulders just doesn't do it for me. But the back of that dress is fabulous.


                      

At this time, I have to switch over to the actual Emmys and will have to comment on clothes throughout the evening...it's 8:00 people...time for the show!!

Opening video—fabulous! I love seeing the stars all come together to make funny! And the Friday Night light boys were adorable! Landry, Saracen and Vince! Aw...I really miss that show.

I know Jane Lynch was lip synching, but it sounded like her, right? Pre-recorded, or sung by someone who sounds like her? If it's her--impressive (though probably auto-tuned to heck!). As much of an anti-Mad Men person as I am, I thoroughly enjoyed their cameo in the opening number!

Okay, she explained the singing people, right? I must have been looking away or something. Why? I'm not impressed with these people...who is Cobie Smulders??  Andy why is Wilmer Valderrama in this singing group?

Oustanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy: Will it go to Jane???  NO!! Julie Bowen! I'm thrilled! Though I do think Sofia Vergara could just have easily gotten it. WOW boobalicious Julie! Hmm...and Madonna Arms. Josh says "too much boobie, too big biceps." I'm really not loving that dress. Julie is not very curvy and that dress makes her look even more shapeless. But gorgeous hair and make-up!


Getty Images
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Will Ed O'Neil be redeemed??  Nope again. Ty Burrell wins! He's great, but Eric Stonestreet was my pick. Go "Modern Family"!!

"Modern Family" has won 4 of 4 of the first awards! (Clearly I'm not commenting on every single award given. Just those I'm interested in!) Will it be a sweep? Will it win Best Comedy?




Charlie Sheen seems to be making a comeback, huh? What was that major breakdown? Went off his meds? Mid-life crisis?  He's really been taking the high road the last week. "The Today Show", Leno, the Emmys. He's definitely putting his tail between his legs and even wished his former show well, if not a little creepily (is that a word?). He managed to include some self-depricating humor by pointing out that this is his "old category." It'll be interesting to see what he does next in Hollywood. He clearly realizes he messed up royally.

Lead actor Comedy Series:  Will they give it to the sentimental favorite Steve Carell? Nope. Jim Parsons...I still have never seen an episode of The Big Bang Theory. He looks a little like an elf, no? Blah. Boring in my opinion. And as he walks off stage he looks like he's scared sh-tless of Charlie Sheen! hahaa

Getty Images

Oooh...Sofia Vergara looks AMAZING! Except for matching the lips to the dress. Not sure I love that. But I LOVE her dress. It's perfect for her, although anything would look great on her.










Oh, I see. Amy Poehler is trying to be funny. This is the Outsanding Actress in a COMEDY Series.  Or apparently she's just starting a trend of jumping up to the stage as if it were a pageant! Face fanning and all. Even Edie and Laura are getting in on the fun. Cute mini-dress Laura! I wasn't so sure about her attire until I realized it was a mini. Nice choice. Eric Stonestreet looks a bit perplexed at what is going on. haha The ladies, all together on stage, look amazing. Pretty colors! I have to say that Martha Plimpton looks stunning. That sparkly dress is right up my alley!

Getty Images
WHAT?  I literally just yelled out loud! Melissa McCarthy—this is your year! I said it in my predictions. hahah, They are even giving her the crown and roses. This is great. Love the funny ladies!

I'm also loving these sketches. The Office based one is highly entertaining.  The singing intros? Not as entertaining. Still not getting it.

Oustanding Reality Competition: "The Amazing Race." Eh. I was hoping for "So You Think You Can Dance" (like that was ever gonna win) or Top Chef. Oh well. I'm not overly invested in this category, anyway.

SNL Medley—Priceless. Epic. I don't really watch SNL anymore but I have seen some of the music videos they're reprising. This is hysterical. If you didn't watch the Emmys, look up this performance!

Oooh...big stuff coming up! Drama categories!

Well, "Friday Night Lights" won SOMETHING—Best Writing for a Drama Series! Oh, the theme song gives me chills and makes me want to cry!  Good thoughts for FNL to win more awards!  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!!!

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Still haven't seen an episode of —oops...she can't get up the stairs!—"Justified."  Margo Martindale wins. She looks so familiar.  Ah...quick check on IMDB reminds me she was on "Dexter," among other things. She's so happy. The kind of happy that makes me happy for her. Good for you, Margo!

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: huh. Peter Dinklage. "Game of Thrones." Another show I haven't seen. I was definitely hoping for Alan Cumming. Not that it matters, but I heard recently that he's a total nut. I just like his Scottish accent. That and he's a good actor. Hmm. I've never heard anyone thank their dog sitter before. Cute, Dinklage.

Wireimage.com
Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series: Julianna Margulies! I love "The Good Wife!" But I really really wanted Connie Britton to win. Oh well. Did you notice, though, when Julianna turned around to kiss someone, the dress looks like it's plastic or something! Doesn't look very comfortable! Also, I haven't mentioned it yet, but I love the little commentaries as the winners walk up to the stage. We now know Julianna's favorite favorite episode of "I Love Lucy." Awesome.  They did this last year, too, and I remember hearing something about meatballs when Edie Falco was walking up to the stage.

Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series: Go "Dexter!"  oops. Kyle Chandler! Oh, and Hugh Laurie! Holy moly it's all my favorites...who will win??   KYLE CHANDLER KYLE CHANDLER KYLE CHANDLER!!!!!!!!!!! SO HAPPY! (sorry Michael C. Hall)

Oh, side note...now I can really see Minka Kelly's dress...LOVE.  I take back what I said before.  And so nice that she can present Kyle Chandler with the award, since she was on the show, herself.

Aw...it looked like he was trying to say more after they turned off the mic...maybe a Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose for old time sake??

So are these singers here because Jane Lynch is on "Glee" and they're supposed to be the glee club? Am I really only registering this now? Whoops.

I haven't seen a single movie or mini-series, so it may be time to tune out and unload the dishwasher.

I don't know any of these movies but I just saw Maggie Smith as a nominee...go Professor McGonagall! HAHAH She won! But she's not there. Sad.

Getty Images
How are we feeling about Amy's Poehler's dress? Eh. Different. Not loving it. Maybe if her hair was done better. You know who else's hair needed help? Padma Lakshmi. Very uncharacteristic of her to have messy, wiry looking hair.

I always get chills at the In Memoriam video. There are always a few people who I either didn't know had passed or had slipped my mind. And this year is no different, especially with the musical accompaniment they chose. It just strikes a chord. Good job Canadian Tenors.  I know some people feel "Hallelujah" is overplayed. And maybe it is, but it still has that emotional impact that'll get you every time.

Again, I didn't see "Mildred Pierce," but I love how, whenever Kate Winslet wins anything, she is so genuinely happy. That is clearly someone who loves what she does and doesn't expect anything from it.

Outstanding Drama Series: EEEK....this is a big one!!! I'm nervous!  Blech. Stupid "Mad Men." Fourth year in a row. Should have been "Friday Night Lights" or "Dexter." Seriously.  What a disappointment. For me. I suppose I didn't give "Mad Men" a real shot. I watched maybe 4 episodes then never again because it just didn't catch me. But then again, I didn't love "Dexter" til after 3 or 4 episodes. Hmm.

Whoa...Jane's final dress...show some skin girl! I'm loving how feminine she's been looking tonight! So sparkly and SO the opposite of her TV alter-ego!



Outstanding Comedy Series: better not be Glee! haha. It just wasn't so great this season. Go "Modern....Woohoo!!! "Modern Family!"

My friend, Tricia, alerted me early on in the broadcast that there was the sound of a phone that just kept going. I didn't hear it until much later, and now I'm still hearing it. It sounds like a phone on redial. Over and over. Anyone else notice? Something in the sound department clearly has gone wrong, right?  What the heck is that??

All in all, a pretty good night at the Emmys! Though not too many major surprises...except for KYLE CHANLDER!! Did I say that I was excited about that? No? Well I am!  It was a repeat of last year for the top awards so nothing new there. And I would have liked to see more of my favorites get statues. Alas, I will keep rooting for the underdogs and hope for a show that can beat Mad Men!

What did you think of the night? Was Jane Lynch the right choice? Did your favorites win? Who looked best? Worst?


1 comment:

  1. Miriam KNEW you'd be excited about Kyle Chandler! She was whooping at the TV :)
    I've only seen season 1 of Mad Men, and it took me a while to get into it, but, boy, by the end of that season it was awesome. I haven't had time to watch the rest of the seasons yet, but I really want to.
    I haven't seen Game of Thrones, but I LOVE Peter Dinklage, so I was rooting for him. I've loved him since The Station Agent, and used to see him all the time in Union Square and always wanted to tell him how amazing I think he is...never did. Apparently, this is a book series and a TV series that I need to watch-- people from all parts of my life have been telling me this.
    I was upset about Steve Carell. I watched about ten minutes of The Big Bang Theory and had to turn it off. I just don't get it. Steve Carell is a comic genius and totally snubbed his entire time on The Office. So sad.
    I was really excited about all the Modern Family wins. I love that show. And Ty's speech was pretty funny-- so sweet, yet so funny at the same time.
    And I freaked when Amy Poehler ran up on stage and all the other women followed. That was hysterical. It must have been planned because for all the other categories they showed clips of their work.
    I thought Jane Lynch did a good job. The opening was really funny, and she had fun throughout. Good for her!

    ReplyDelete